No matter what, everyone sees signs of aging in their skin. Some factors are irreversible and some are genetic. However, there are many ways to protect and treat your skin starting from a younger age to ensure its health for years to come. More importantly, there are things that you definitely shouldn’t do if you don’t want sunspots, wrinkles, and lines that age your face. Here are the best ways to protect your skin this summer.
- Protect your skin from the sun. The sun’s rays damage the elastic fibers in skin, causing premature aging and wrinkles.
- Wear a hat with a brim and clothing with UVA and UVB protection
- Wear at least SPF 15 broad-spectrum sunscreen (try a daily moisturizer with included SPF like Neutrogena’s Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30)
- Avoid smoking and excessive drinking. Smoking decreases blood flow to the face, causing wrinkles, crow’s feet, and sagging skin around the eyes. Excessive alcohol consumption deprives skin of the necessary nutrients for a healthy appearance and dehydrates the skin.
- Eat healthy and ensure a vitamin and mineral-rich diet. Vitamins A, E, B, and C all contribute to healthy skin.
- Make sure you are getting your daily recommended servings of fruit and vegetables!
- Remove makeup before bed. If you don’t wash your face at night, you are leaving the day’s toxins, dirt, and oils in your pores, which can cause blemishes and affect your complexion for years to come.
- Get in your 8 hours of sleep. Insufficient sleep causes a myriad of health problems, including bags under the eyes and age spots which can last longer than just the days that you skimped on sleep.
These are a few ways to avoid the signs of aging – wrinkles, blemishes and spots, droopy skin, and crow’s feet. While makeup and creams can help, there are also FDA-approved options like Botox, Juvéderm, and our brand new VI Chemical Peel that can help reduce the appearance of aging and refresh skin.